September 1, 2009

Logan's First Day of "School"

Today was a big day for Logan...and Me! Our church has a Parent's Day Out program for babies through Pre-K on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Our church has been doing this program for as long as I can remember. A lot of Logan's friends (my friend's kiddos) participate in this program and really like it. I've been saying for 2 years now that I was going to start letting Logan go at least one day a week. I thought it would be good for him to have some interaction with other kiddos and learn some new things. However, I have been struggling to let him go. When I found out I was pregnant with Luke, I didn't want to miss a day with Logan...I knew my one on one time with him was coming to an end. I am one of those moms that just gets a knot in the pit of my stomach when I even think about the first day of kindergarten. I just cherish these days when my boys are little and still think Mommy is their best friend. I know one day, "friends" will be so important and I dread the stage of "What does my mom know....she is so old." I hope my boys will stay close to me even when they are much much older, but I can't kid myself that I'll never have these days back. Mornings of us getting up and hanging out in our pajamas, eating breakfast together, playing blocks, hide-n-seek, watching Logan get so excited when he sees Daddy come home for lunch. These are the days, that will go too fast and I just want to soak them up. However, I know that since Luke has been born, it's been hard for me to give Logan as much attention. Especially, since Luke still breastfeeds and just by virtue of being a baby, he takes more time. So...I asked Logan the other day if he wanted to go try out "school" (this is what he calls it) at church and go hang out with some of his friends. He said "YES!" So, yesterday, we went and picked out a backpack and lunch box. We went to the Disney store (they were having a SUPER sale) and he is in Disney prime-time...loves Cars, Toy Story, Wall-E...etc. So...He picked out a Toy Story backpack and matching lunch box. He was so cute this morning when he woke up. I couldn't get him dressed fast enough. I showed him his lunch box and opened it to show him what I packed and made sure he understood what to bring back home. I asked him to open the tupperware that his PB&J sandwich was in (wanted to make sure he could do it by himself) and he was able to open it...he said, "Mmmm..looks great...let's try it..." and before I could stop him, he took a big bite out of his sandwich. Silly guy...I explained that this was for lunch...later. As soon as we got to his class, he went right in and started playing. Never hesitated. I talked with the teachers a few minutes and then looked to see if I should interrupt Logan to say bye or just leave. He looks up at me and I say, "Bye, Logan. I love you." I walk closer to see if we can hug, and he says, "See ya later, Mommy. I'm Playing!!" Well...I was a little sad but glad he was happy to be there. Luke and I walked back to the car, I called Charles to tell him how everything went, and then I cried. My baby is growing up. Only 3 months until he turns 4. Where is the time going. So...it just makes me realize that I have to cherish EACH day!!


By the way....I did get a text from the children's director later today and she told me that Logan's teacher was bragging on him. His teacher said she really enjoyed him being in her class. She said he was very sweet and obedient. Sweet words to this mommy's ears. I know my child is not perfect, but it sure makes ya feel good when someone genuinely brags on your baby.



1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey my sweet friend. Rest assured that you will both be ok and he will have TONS of fun. Plus, like you said it will be good for him to get to play. I'll be thinking about you. Give that baby boy of yours a hug :)