January 10, 2010

An amazing man that I called Granddaddy...

So...I wish I was much better at this blogging thing...maybe it will be my new year's resolution.  The days are so busy with 2 active boys and then at night after the kids are in bed, I like to sit on the couch with my honey and I am usually too tired to think about blogging.  But, I know it is a good source to keep track of our busy life.

   

Friday, December 4th, was a hard day.  When I woke up on that Friday morning, I didn't know that it would be the last time I would see my granddaddy.  He's been very sick for the last 4 months and has battled pneumonia 3 times in that time period.  He was in and out of the hospital.  He turned 87 on September 5th this year.  Dad took him to the ER on November 20th and they said he had double pneumonia again.  They admitted him.  Some days it would seem he was getting better and some days he was worse.  The Friday after Thanksgiving, I told Charles that Granddaddy was asking to see the boys.  We have kept them out of the hospital and not let the boys visit him because of all the flu and nasty crud going around.  However, Charles encouraged me to take them to see him this time and reminded me that we didn't know how long he might make it.  So, we did.  I am so glad we did, because this ended up being the last time Charles, Logan and Luke saw him.  On Monday, the 30th, I went to go visit granddaddy, who was in ICU at this point.  I am so glad I did, because I got to enjoy his humor, which I love so much. He looked like he felt horrible and definitely was struggling, but even then in those tough hours, he would smile at me and even told me how I was his #1 (When I was 3 years old or so, I asked him if I was #1, and he said I would always be his #1.  It's been a good fun thing to say around my brother and sister, just to get them arguing about who was granddaddy's #1...rest assured, Daniel and Julie...it's me! Haha)  So, Friday the 4th, Mom called to tell me he didn't look good and his body wasn't doing much to get rid of the pneumonia.  The doctor informed my mom and dad that they could try one more antibiotic, but if he wasn't better by Monday, there wasn't much else they could do.  So, I started getting ready, so when Charles got home from work, I could go up to the hospital, but an hour later, Mom called and said that Granddaddy was dying.  He took a major turn for the worse and wasn't going to get better.  I called Charles and he was so awesome to be home within 5 minutes of the call. I rushed to the hospital and my Mom, Dad, Brother and fiancé, and my sister were able to be there by him for his last hours.  He died around 1pm.  In a way, I was glad to be there holding his hand when he died, but it was also hard to see him take his last breaths.  So, for those of you that don't know this amazing man that I called Granddaddy, let me tell you a bit about him.  His full name was Grady Len Latimer.  He was born in Trinton, Texas on September 5, 1922.  He was married my grandmom in 1942 and they were happily married until January 2, 2005, when she passed away, loosing her fight to brain cancer. He was an awesome Man of God.  He believed there was nothing more important than his Savior, Jesus Christ. He lived his life as a testimony to Jesus, everyday. One of the things I most admired about him was hearing the story of him loosing his 2 1/2 year old son, who died to meningitis.  Even after loosing a son, which I can't even begin to fathom, he stayed faithful and trusting to the Lord.  So many would be bitter and hate God for feeling like He took their son, but he and my grandmom remained strong.  They depended on each other and the Lord during their trials and tribulations. What a testimony! He was the sweetest man, I've ever known.  He had a smile that could light up any room.  His laugh was the best.  He was known for his sense of humor.  He loved to make others laugh and he never met a stranger.  He was the kind of guy that would "give you the shirt off his back." So many people hear granddaddy and think distant, only see at holidays, old guy...but we had such an amazing relationship.  My dad was an only child, since my grandparents only had him after their first son, Jerry died...and since he was their only child, me, my brother and sister, were the only grandkids.  We were their life.  They came to every sporting event, choir concert, church play, birthday parties, graduations...you name it and they were there. It hurts and I am heart-broken that he is gone from this worldly home and I miss him so much.  But, there is hope and a peace to know this isn't "goodbye", but "see ya later." You see, several years ago, my granddaddy asked Jesus to come into his life and be his Lord and Savior...My granddaddy has gone to his eternal home in heaven.  Like he used to say, "Some are going North, Some are going south, but I am going UP!" I know he is so happy to be in the presence of the Lord and to be re-united with my grandmom and to see his son that he hasn't seen in 62 years. Heaven just got a little sweeter and gave me another reason I am glad that I am a believer and follower of Christ...because one day I am "going UP" and I will see him again.  If Granddaddy could hear me know, I would tell him...
Granddady, I love you so much.  You have been the best Granddaddy and given me such a great Godly example.  You have shown me how to love, work hard, save money and always be my best. Thank you for loving Charles like your real grandson, and for spoiling and loving Logan and Luke, just like you did me. I am so glad you are not hurting anymore and that you are completely new and healthy.  We will forever remember all the fun times we've had with you and I'll see ya soon. Love you.
Love,
Kelly Marie-#1





2 comments:

Amy said...

That was incredibly touching. I am speechless. He was certainly loved

Paige said...

Sounds like you had a pretty great man to call granddaddy. Sorry about your loss but you are so right, he is healed now and with his loves.